Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A plea of sorts

So, today while reading the paper I came across an article in the Washington Post that talked about students returning to school in New Orleans. Displaced Students Return To La. for 2nd College Try. The article goes on to talk about the feelings of several different students in the DC area that go to school in New Orleans. Some students say that they can't wait to get back to the city, which I can understand...parents and all. While others, go on to say that they don't want to leave the schools that they are currently attending.
I understand both sides of the issue, but I don't think that I will ever fully understand because I'm so removed from that environment and or that situation. I have never lived in an area that was damaged by a natural disaster...never went to school that was hit by a hurricane. But, at the end of the day when I read articles that describe what is happening, what did happen in New Orleans, I can't help but hurt. The thing is, I don't know what I can do.....
So I have decided to make a plea on here....my blog, which no one probably ever reads. But just in case, if you do know of something that a college grad with a degree in Communications and two years of buying experience and a year of admissions work can do to help out, please leave a comment. I have a big heart, not a lot of money, but all the time in the world to help out those who can't help themselves. I would be willing to come down to the Gulf Coast.....OBVI, I would need more then a moments notice...but willing none the less.

1 comment:

TOS said...

Well I know from my dealings at my school that the student situation is pretty bad... kids need money to go to school... Maybe you can put your admissions experience to use and research some grants, aid programs or scholarships out there for students who don't know what to do - or where to start looking for that stuff...

Hell maybe you me and CEArris can research a little and post info on our blogs - I mean it can't hurt right?