Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In the news

So last nite I decided to take a peek at the NYtimes to see what the news would be like tomorrow. Much to my surprise I found an article on one of my favorite books of last year.... A Million little Pieces by James Frey. The title of the article was Best-Seller memoir Draws Scrutiny. So of course I had to read it.
To kind of my surprise the article went on to discuss how some parts of the book my not have happened (Frey claims that the book is non-fiction). If you haven't read the book I won't spoil it for you....I will just say that no matter what, this book should be on your must-read list. Anywho, the article goes on to talk about how some of the arrest and jail time that Frey talks about in the book didn't happen. It also ask questions about other parts of the book that it thinks are important pieces of the book.
My gripe with the article itself, is that it assumes that everyone who read it took away the same things......that somehow his arrest and time spent in jail played a huge part of the book and the readers experience. I say no. The arrest and jail time were such little parts of a much bigger, deeper story, that even if they were made up they would make no significant difference in the overall tone of the book. What this reader took away from the book was that here was a man that went through some horrible stuff....namely, drug addiction and alcoholism. In fighting through these addictions this man comes out stronger then when he went in. If anything, the book taught me to be patient and "hold on".......if you focus enough on something, like making yourself better, it will happen eventually.
So to Mr. Frey I say, "Hold on". I applaud you in writing such a amazing book, that everyone from drug addicts to house wives found that they all have something in common.... life and it's struggles.

No comments: