Wednesday, June 21, 2006

It's that time of year again.....is that the smell of Pride????


So, another pride year is upon us. This will be the first time that I don't spend Pride in San Fran. Granted it doesn't really work out to go out to the West Coast this year, with the new job and all, but it would have been great. Instead, I will spend this year's Pride in a new city. Headed to Fire Island on friday and Saturday and then coming back to the city for the parade on sunday. Should be a good time. I hope.
I have to say that ever since I've come out....Pride is the one thing that I look forward to every year. Growing up in MO, I would always see Pride events on the news and hope one day that I would end up on a float in a cowboy hat.......I can't believe I just wrote that, but it's true. Side note.....have you ever seen that one movie where the guy's parents end up seeing him on Tv in a gay pride parade.....having mental bloc right now. It's either "the Full Monty" or "The Sum of Us".....with Russell Crowe. If you haven't seen "The Sum of Us"....you really should. Love Russell......anywho

The thing about Pride itself is the experience of it all. From the parade, to the clubs, to the concerts, to the events at the end of the parade. It is all worth it. My first Pride event was in Columbus, OH. I have to tell you that I didn't know that many gay people lived in the Midwest. Thousands of people. I will spare you the details, but I will tell you that I remember a random bartender, a cheerleader from OSU, and dikes on bikes.

The next two Prides would find me in DC and San Fran. Both so different, but both so fun. Lot's of boys, lots of dancing, lots of late nights early mornings. So that brings us to this year..... I don't know what Pride has in store for me this year. But whatever it is, I'm looking forward to the memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WHORE CALL ME??!?!?! I NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR ARE DOING SATURDAY AND I CAN'T GET A HOLD OF YOU.

LOVE YOU. MEAN IT
KEN